Admission News

Save on Tuition Costs

Written by CB Experts

Public universities’ tuition rates are lower than private college rates, but sometimes the public university you choose is in another state. Then you are faced with paying non-resident or out-of-state tuition rates which can be 3 or more times higher than residents’ tuition.

Here are some ways to obtain in-state tuition rates and save:

  • If you live on the border of a state that has a low in-state tuition rate, appeal for that rate. Many close neighbors can get the lower tuition rate. It’s worth a try.
  • A student could take a gap year and live and work in a state where he or she is planning to attend. One year of residency, registering to vote, and filing state income tax can get you that in-state tuition for less money.
  • Look for county, state, and regional groups of universities and colleges that have tuition reciprocity. For example, the New England Board of Higher Education covers the 6 New England states. If you want to major in something your state doesn’t offer, you can go to one of the other five state universities that has that degree program for your in-state tuition rate. If you are an Illinois resident you can go to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, St Louis University, the State University of Indiana, and other Wisconsin state universities for their in-state tuition rates. Also check out these other reciprocal programs, Western Undergrad Exchange (WUC) and Academic Common Market (ACM).
  • Also check with the school of your choice. Many offer non-residents tuition breaks. Some schools offer non-resident competing scholarships, in-state tuition if you qualify either academically or financially, and other non-resident discounts.

No school is out of reach if you look for in-state tuition rate deals.

About the author

CB Experts

Content created by retired College Admissions consultants.