Most financial aid for attending a U. S. college is restricted to American citizens and green-card holders, and most financial aid packages are based on federal taxes paid in the U. S. However, there is financial aid available to international students who want to attend a college in the United States.
There is not a lot of aid available, but what is available varies from college to college. The best aid packages are from
- need-blind colleges and
- need-based colleges that are private school and well-endowed.
Other aid is available
- through scholarships, mostly merit and
- colleges that have dedicated funds to encourage international attendance
If you are an international student you should
- be in direct contact with colleges and/ or read their websites for financial aid and international student information,
- be prepared to share bank information for you and your family that is translated into English, and
- contact the College Board for the International version of the CSS Profile form.